måndag 12 januari 2009

Store My Ducks

Welcome to Tokyo, the present time is tomorrow.

Today was Coming-of-age Day. That means everyone who's turning 20 today gets a free cookie from the emperor's hand. 
Just kidding.
No, it manifests itself in goings to shrines, and people otherwise enjoying a day off work. The Japanese don't get many of those.
Spurred by our lovely landlady Mrs Kobayashi, I and three of my fellow house guests set out to explore central Tokyo with naught but a map and my scattered memory to guide us.
We did fine, as a matter of fact, and found our way from Shibuya to Harajuku via the Meiji shrine, which was very busy today.
It appears this Meiji fellow is one popular dude. I dabbed my hands with holy water of some kind, so I guess I have his blessings now. Thanks, pal!

After that we went to Harajuku, which, according to Gwen Stefani is a super awesome "pedestrian paradise". I need to come back a few dozen times before I can say if I agree. Gwen has been known to make mistakes. From time to time. (If you get that reference, you get a cookie. From the emperor's hand.)
We also had lunch in the one place that wasn't completely crowded (probably a bad sign, that), in my case a very simple salmon with rice. Hey, it was cheap enough.

Again, I have chosen to write just before dinner (which is served at 7 o'clock, daily). Last night we had some very japanese dishes, which were excellent. The Kobayashis are really cheerful and talkative, as it were, much more so than us non-japanese.

Here are some pictures from today.







3 kommentarer:

Daniel sa...

ballt att det bor Stormtroopers i Japan, något jag länge misstänkt

beardonaut sa...

What's up with the storm troopers? I met one in New Orleans last spring.

Martin sa...

Yes you did. I think it's all part of a massive invasion, they're trying to blend in. Pretty soon, we won't even notice them.