lördag 17 januari 2009

The boys are back in town. Or rather, they are here now for the first time.

I woke up at 3:30 PM today.

So effing what? I hear you say. That's saturday for ya, right? Well, I tend to get up before lunch even on the laziest of days. 
The main reason why I neglected most of the sunlight-hours today is, I'm quite certain, the fact that I went to bed at nine this morning. Which is in itself largely due to a six-hour stay at a karaoke bar in Shibuya last night. 
I've never sung karaoke before. In fact, the number of times I've handled a microphone is pretty insignificant, not to mention my singing voice.
Anyway, as much of a Tokyo-cliché as it is, it's not bad. 
I had arranged to meet some friends at nine, who supposedly knew of a cool place for pre-singing drinks. After walking aimlessly through the labyrinthine streets of Shibuya, we actually found the place. The seven of us were barely able to squeeze in (and there was no one else there) and I cheerfully ordered my first 500 yen ginger ale.
After a couple of hours the establishment had served its' purpose, so we opted to find one more suitable for vocal endeavours. 
I can't remember the name (who am I kidding, I didn't care what it was called), but it was pretty close to Shibuya station. A towering plaza of drunken singing where gullable gaijin like us could make asses of ourself without having to apologize for it.
For 30,000 yen (divided by seven people, you do the math), we got a room, a karaoke-machine, and all the booze we wanted. For six hours. That was the deal.
Being swedish and quite appreciative of a drink or two, my companions quickly realized that they were going to die.
It started off well enough, with some  80's classics and beers, but soon the pitchers and random whiskey drinks (I think) took their toll.
As for the songs, I think I gave Blitzkrieg bop a fair treatment, as well as Prince's 1999. The others did superbly too, of course.

Anyway, we left at five o'clock to find that Shibuya looked the same as it had at nine (no real surprise) and I took one of the first trains home. I actually went the wrong way on the circular Yamanote subway line on purpose, because I felt like riding the train for a while and watching sleepy Tokyoites return home (or in many cases, going to work.)

I'm beginning to settle in now, which is nice. Tomorrow Akiko-san (the mother of the family in whose home I'm staying) is taking me and the other dudes to Kamakura. It should be good.
I've had karaoke, now I want some temples.

Pictures:

Tokyo tower

An awesome rendering of The Great Wave off Kanagawa, in Shimokitazawa

Daikanyama

Shibuya

Gotanda station at sunrise

Inga kommentarer: