söndag 1 mars 2009

Rockin' the sanshin all night long

Yesterday I went to a party. Well, "party". How I came to be there I barely understand myself.

A few days ago, one of the other swedes from my school was approached by a woman on the subway named Yumi. She asked him if he wanted to go to a party at her friend's house on saturday (yesterday) and he thought it sounded like a swell idea. She said to bring some friends. 
So he told me about it, and most of our jaunty, swedish gang. He also told his neighbor Phillip, a swiss guy who's in my class.
Gets a bit confusing, I know.
Anyway, last night we were set to meet at Hatsudai station around six o'clock. When I arrived, punctual and proper, there was no one there. Eventually I found Phillip, and the japanese girl from the subway, whom none of us knew. Yumi had with her two friends named Asami and Nami (makes for a great superhero team, doesn't it?)
She informed us that our mutual friend wasn't coming due to illness (I call bullshit, but whatever) and we decided that no one else was going to show. It was him and me.
So, in the company of three japanese girls whom we'd never seen before, we headed off to meet the host of the party, Kazu.
After some last-minute shopping (when someone says they're getting snacks for a party, you don't expect them to leave the store with a bag full of raw vegetables) we found his apartment.
It's located right nearby the Park Hyatt and has a superb, futuristic view of downtown Tokyo.
At this point we'd broken some ice with the usual "I'm swedish. Yes, Ikea. No, I'm not a polar bear." Our four companions were friendly and curious, as per usual.

The "party" turned out to be just the six of us, seated around a low table in Kazu's very small and hospitable flat. We had soup, drank tea and wine, listened to japanese hip hop, and it was great. Really nice. Really friendly people.
Kazu thought it appropriate to produce his sanshin, a japanese lute much like the shamisen that Kobayashi-san plays. Obviously, I couldn't help but lay down a few tight licks. I rock anywhere, at any time.

So, a great night that came to be by unlikely circumstances. I like when that happens.


Asami, Yumi, and soup.

Phillip and Kazu.

Riffing the shit out of a lute.

A merry bunch. Kazu, Yumi, Asami, Nami, Phillip and me.

Inga kommentarer: