fredag 20 mars 2009

Ji-bu-ri

When Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and others founded Ghibli Studios in 1985, they weren't fluent in Italian. None the less, they were determined to call their new company "Jee-buri", which is how it's pronounced here. Personally, I think some Japanese companies should just stay away from certain grammatical deathtraps (or simply, certain letters…)
Anyway, why I'm even mentioning this is because yesterday we visited the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka. The museum is a colourful and cartoony building situated within Inokashira park, not far from Shinjuku. It contains a playful exhibition on the history of cinema, a mock-up of an animation studio (which may or may not look anything like the real thing) and a gift shop.
Also, a huge robot from Castle In The Sky.
But perhaps most importantly, the building houses a cinema where visitors are treated to an exclusive screening of a short film by Ghibli Studios. These films are not available anywhere else, so it's a pretty big deal.
The one we saw yesterday is the 16-minute Hoshi o Katta hi ("The day I harvested a star"), directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It was really great, and full of Miyazaki-like quirkyness and style. 

After this joyful excursion, including a walk around Inokashira, we headed back to Shinjuku for dinner at a place that specialized in sukiyaki. A big bowl of boiling broth is placed in the center of the table, and guests are free to dunk whatever vegetable, meat or fish they want into it. I've had it before, but not like this. An interesting experience. And good food.

Today I decided to get some god damn studying done, seeing as how I have less than a week to remind myself of everything I've learned over the past couple of months. The sun was doing it's thing, it was about 23º C, so me and three classmates went to the Imperial garden to hit the books. 
Afterwards, I met my parents at their ryokan in Asakusa. We went for a short walk around the tourist-packed but somehow genuinely japanese neighborhood, bought chopsticks, and found some nice tempura for dinner. A fine evening, to be sure.

Tomorrow, Korea! I have absolutely no expectations whatsoever. 

3 kommentarer:

leif sa...

ME WANTS IT!

Awesomeallday sa...

wow, the Ghibli museum sounds AMAZING. What robot is it from howl?

ps

how do I live your life? You seem to be traveling everywhere!

Martin sa...

Alas, the robot isn't from Howl's Moving Castle, but Laputa: Castle in The Sky. Someone ought to tell old Hayao off for not being more inventive with the titles.
(and it's the big robot from the titular Castle.)

Hehe. I do travel, as much as I can. Sweden is not the shit, it turns out.
And if you're really interested: I'm studying at Geos (http://www.geos-japanese-insti.co.jp/) who'll accept anyone, at any time. They also help out with housing and stuff.